View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Guy crashes into my truck, his fault, gives false insurance info

First, you should definitely report the accident to your insurance company. If he is uninsured, and it sounds like that's the case, then your insurance company is required to cover the damages under the uninsured motorist provisions of your insurance policy. If you delay reporting the claim, your insurance company may deny coverage (you have a duty to report all claims promptly under the terms of your insurance policy).

Second, the guy almost definitely doesn't have insurance. He wouldnt lie to you if he did.

Third, call the police and explain the situation. Ask if you can come to the station and make a report. Give the police all the information you have and explain that the guy lied about his insurance information. You say that he pulled in front of your son -- he will probably lie and say that your son rear-ended him -- a police report may be helpul for insurance purposes. The best way to get the police to make a report is to be very nice to them.

Fourth, ask your insurance company if they will go after the guy for your deductible. Sometimes when insurance companies pay you for the damages to your vehicle, they still go after the responsible party (this is called subrogation).

Fifth, I might try to call the guy and lean on him a little to pay for the damages and threaten a lawsuit, but I wouldn't go any farther than that. It's not worth it to face criminal charges to get even with the guy.

Good luck.