View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 05:55 PM

Default VR\'s Starting Strength log

Background: About 6'2", hovering around 210 right now. Last time I had my BF percentage checked (when I weighed about 220) it was about 14.5%. I'm not a novice lifter, but when I've lifted in the past its been more of a high rep type of circuit workout. I've been working pretty hard on eating healthier, and my size 36 jeans are very loose on me, so that is heartening. I plan on adhering pretty strictly to the Starting Strength plan until Im not making consistent gains. At this point my only real desire is to just get stronger until I decide on more defined goals.

Today was my first workout. I did some tinkering in the gym last week to figure out where I need to start with weight. I welcome any comments on some issues I talk about for each exercise.

Squats- 3x5x225. Form was pretty good, although I'm pretty tight in the legs and as a result it took some work to get deep enough. I know on several of them I didnt get quite to parallel, I think some of this is just a mental block. Also I have pretty long legs. I think next time I'm going to widen my stance a hair and see if this helps. I did have to take a step forward on one rep, but that was the only one, otherwise I felt very stable.

Bench - 3 x 5 x 155 - Good form throughout, the last rep of the third set my lockout was sort of wishy washy. Think this was a good starting weight, going to bump it 5-10lbs next time.

Deadlift - 1 x 5 x 205 - LAst week I determined that I could DL 225 but I wasnt happy with my form so I took some off for today. Kind of a mixed review on the form today. I felt like it was very good coming up. But going down I'm honestly a mess. Im looking for some good lift keys for the lowering phase of the lift. Undecided at this point if I want to bump the weight up for the next time. I know Im physically capable of more, but I'm thinking it might be better if I do it again at 205 to concentrate on my form. Thoughts?

Thanks for reading. Welcome to answer any questions and Im open to any suggestions. Keep me honest guys!