View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: I love Jazz music - the Saxophone blows tho

[ QUOTE ]
But I think the sax is, if anything, more capable of evoking a wide breadth of emotions than any brass instrument.
<snip>
If you think there is one sax sound, then you just haven't been exposed to that many players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, thats me, haven't heard a sax solo yet that moves me. Either they are too grating and scratchy, or too "smooth" (Kenny-G barf), or whatever. Like I've said before I love all kinds of jazz (and blues!), but haven't found a sax player yet that I find enjoyable to listen to. Just something about that instrument that I find quite unpleasant.

No question its one of the most expressive instruments around tho, and I guess I'd rather listen to it than a crappy electronic keyboard solo.. but still, give me a guitar, piano, bass, clarinet or brass solo anyday of the week instead.

So as suggested I bought Sonny Rollins St. Thomas off of itunes from the Saxophone Colossus album. The drum and piano solos are great, but the Sax stuff, while quite expressive, again is just something that reminds me of fingernails on a chalkboard. Oh well, I'm hopeless.

L8r ya'll.. BB