View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: STTF SNG->cash thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
slim: 3betting is pretty miserable here with 77. call and go for a raise of a cbet on a dry board, ideally hitting a set and stacking an overpair.

as played i like betting the flop then shutting down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is the 3-bet so terrible, other than because I'm going to [censored] up the hand anyway? His UTG and UTG+1 raise hands so far: A4s, QJo, 76s, 54s.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all the possibilities of his ranges for calling the 3 bet and then folding to a cbet - calling the 3 bet and then going broke if he hits the flop at all - and 4 betting; I'm sure you can come up with reasonable ranges that make either calling or 3 betting more +EV.

Against his range, I would guess 3 betting is fine. If he doesn't call 3 bets with a large portion of his preflop raising range then 3 betting any two cards will be +EV here. If he does call 3 bets with a large portion of his preflop range you really don't have very good implied odds when you hit the set and he's very likely to completely miss the flop.

Of course, it depends, and if he's laggy and good you might not want to be in that spot postflop because you will end up folding the best hand too often in a big pot.