View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Playing HU at SNG 6-max: theory discussion

Right, but playing "poker" at these stacks just [censored] sucks. Your opponent gets so loose heads up it's not even funny. Cont. bets are almost worthless. C/Ring (see below) is getting called down light.

Donk tendencies change so fast. First, you think he's loose preflop, but he has been really weak on flops. So you try to get him to play flops and destroy him down to 2000 or something and then pushbot. But he's playing EVERYTHING on flops, especially OOP. So loose passive - mid pairs for opponent = TP. If you hit, great, if you miss, you're screwed.

Well, obv., if you were deeper, this is fine. But, blinds go up every 6 minutes, so if you don't hit in like the next 15 hands, what are you gonna do??

Even on the most innocent of boards, [censored] goes bad. Like last night:

Hero (5000), SB
Villain (4000), BB

Blinds 100/200

Hero raises with A8o to 600, Villain calls.

Flop: Jc 7d 5h

Villain checks, Hero bets 700 and is like "easy fold on this board." Villain times and calls.

Turn: 2d

Villain times and checks, Hero ?

River: Qs

Villain leads for 1500.

So, basically, I'm stuck with either pumping out a pure bluff and hoping he doesn't call. I could check here, but on the turn if he leads (which is happening more and more), then what? Or should I call down with A8o?

This one is slightly less baffling, I guess the proposition of me having a 9, K, set, two pair, or basically any hand where I'm ahead 55/45 didn't phase him:

Hero (3600), BB
Villain (5400), SB

Villain was playing really tight, but is starting to open up his raising range a bit now. Not too much though. He's cont. betting almost all hands I check to him.

150/300

Villain raises to 600, Hero calls with J10o. Villain's small raise indicates to me that he's not folding to a three bet. Also, I three bet with J9o and got called down with A8o by another aggro villain. This raise is a little smaller than rest, but I know he'll cont. bet if he misses and if I hit or get a good draw, I can CR him off his better hand or CR him to call with a mid pair if J or 10 hits. Or let it go and push bot from hereonin.

Flop: Kd 9h 7h

Hero checks, villain bets 700, Hero pushes for 2300 more, Villain INSTA SNAP CALLS with AQo.

I'm totally lost heads up.