View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Multi-tabling (how the heck do y\'all do it)

Since I'm bonus-whoring at the moment, I'm currently playing mostly 4 tables at a time, using a fairly standard strategy (which makes me fairly predictable - those that follow how I play can and will beat me - but luckily there's plenty of fish at micro-stakes).

I played only a month on one table. I found it a bit too hard to concentrate on everyone else's play the times I was not in the hand, and I was in the hand far too little for it to be exciting, so I quickly went to 2 tables, and fast tables because there seemed to be more fish there (higher VP$IP yet smaller pots).

When playing more than two tables at a time, you MUST avoid the speed tables since they go way too fast the times you have a playable hand on two or three tables at once (and this WILL happen).

The thing to note is that you still have to analyze your play after you've played your sessions. Use PokerTracker to check the stats on your opponents and replay a lot of your hands - either to make notes on how you made a mistake, or made a good play, or to make notes on how your opponents play.
Analyzing your opponents is the key!

If you have a good read, write it in the notes on the site, so you can easily access it in-game. Your reads are what makes you win in multi-tabling (and otherwise too, of course). Knowing when to fold or when to raise for value makes a big difference.
That's why replaying the hands is important: you'll learn to recognize similar situations faster and will make faster decisions on the tables.

Since you have to play tight, you're only in about 20% of the hands dealt, so you're mostly only "live" on one table at a time - even when 4-tabling, so that makes it easier to follow the hands you're actually in.
At times when you have a good hand on more than one (and sometimes 4 tables at once), then come the times when your win rate drops significantly. That's why you have to train in making quick decisions.

But the most important part is: your basic strategy (your auto-pilot play) has to be a winning strategy (not that difficult in micro-stakes, I reckon), and you must analyze your play and that of your opponents after you've left the tables. This gives you the advantage you need the next time you multitable...

A side note: I only play full ring games, I usually get my ass handed back to me (raped) in shorthand games, so I only play longhand tables.
These are slower, so you also have more time to think...

But basically you just have to look for a number you're comfortable with. The way I play the game, dropping one or two tables won't make a big impact on my win rate, so I profit from 4-tabling.
More than 4 tends to get too much for me to handle, so make sure you know your treshold as well.

No idea how you can analyze your multitabling win rates with Poker Tracker. Anyone have anything on that???