View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Major for aspiring pro poker player?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do not major in psychology unless you are 100% sure that you want to go to some type of grad school. The only job you can get related to psychology with a BA would be a $10/hr research assistant position with no room to move up until you have an advanced degree.

[/ QUOTE ]
No offense, but that's not correct. There are many subdivisions of Psychology where you can get a good decent-paying salary with a B.A. Eng Psych, Human Factors, Ergonomics, Applied Cognition, to name a few.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know there are some opportunities out there, but I feel like they are few and far between. Out of like 25 people that graduated with me that majored in psych, 5 went to law school, 10 went to grad school, 7 got random finance/business jobs, and 3 are waiters.

Maybe its just my limited experience that I haven't come across these opportunities.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think your points are valid for psych majors who just take a bunch of mental health classes (non applied). This is common for small Liberal Arts colleges, but not as common for major research universities. If you're wise in your approach and classload, a psych degree can be a great asset.