View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Raise Size

I think it depends on your opponent. Even if you're already 100% committed, and can't possibly fold to a shove, some opponents are more likely to get all the chips in if they have the opportunity to make the last move. ("oh, he can't *possibly* call this all-in, even if I'm behind)

I think a smaller raise is more likely to get some of the donktard gutshots to put all their chips in (people don't seem to *like* to fold gutshots, even for very big bets, but the occasional player will actually do so).

It could also be just a 7 or an 8 who thinks your bet is pure continuation, and fully expects you to fold. Who knows what those hands will do if you raise or push. If they're actually thinking enough that the raise is an information raise, I think they're more likely to fold to a push.

Of course, the problem here is that we don't actually know anything about the opponent. Some opponents with some hands are going to be more likely to push over a smaller raise, but fold if you push, and some will call a push, but fold to a smaller raise.

And I don't think I actually have any idea which type of opponent is more common, the blufftard who thinks he can push you off a hand even when you're already pot-committed (usually with the justification of "he looks committed, so he can't think it's a bluff), or the second-thinker who is more likely to attribute an all-in to a bluff or semi-bluff than to a real hand that has them crushed.

Of course, you're getting stacked by 2 pair or a set no matter what happens. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]