View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Super extra-de-dooper thin value betting ($50 NLHUSNG)

Yeah, I probably should have bet the flop. Part of the thought process there is that the fact that he called a raise preflop doesn't actually do anything at all to narrow his range (he called almost 100% of my raises, so I was raising strong hands, and limping almost everything else, fairly close to the same ranges that I would raise OOP to a limp). Which means that if I do get called, I have no clue where I am, because I saw him call similar boards earlier in the match with crap like Q high, no pair and drawing to just overcard(s). Of course, I guess that's all really just another argument in favor of cbetting. The two free cards just give him that many more chances to catch.

It does feel extremely weird to even be thinking about "protecting" ace-high though, and I think that's really what a cbet against this type of opponent boils down to, because he's calling the flop (and turn and river, probably) with a few worse hands sometimes, *all* the even halfway decent draws, and every single hand that has me beat. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, in the actual hand, I thought for quite a while about betting like 100, just because I felt so strongly that he was on a worse ace and would call a small to medium-sized bet, but in the end I chickened out, and he showed down A3. Maybe I should have gone with my gut, but my gut is wrong a lot, and this just felt like it would be SOOOO easy to be wrong.