View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (10/29 - spoilers possible)

Thanks, Brandon, for posting your version events. Since I ragged on Phil in my blog (http://pokergrump.blogspot.com/2007/...d-at-math.html) for either misrepresenting what the deal was or reneging on it, I've posted an addendum that says:

This is pretty reasonable of Adams. Here's the math on what he's saying: Suppose the deal had been explicitly made that no insurance money went either way in the event of a chopped pot. There are 31 cards that win the whole pot for Phil, 7 for Eli, so the odds against an insurer having to pay out are 31:7, or 4.4:1. That's what Adams is calling the "decent edge counting a chop as a chop." On the other hand, if a chopped pot meant that Phil still had to pay his insurance "premium," then there are 37 cards on which he has to pay it (the 31 that are an outright win, plus the 6 cards that result in a split pot), and only 7 on which he collects insurance. 37:7 is 5.3:1, which is what Adams is here calling "some ridiculous vig for me" (32%, actually, compared to the 11% he decided was "decent").

In any event, it sounds like they ended up settling it like gentlemen.