View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: High Schooler Dresses up as KKK member for Halloween

[ QUOTE ]

Some things do offend and bother me. But those things are things that actually impact something. Dressing up like the KKK for halloween doesn't do anything. The kids are not advocating the beliefs of the KKK.

BTW, I do see how advocating these beliefs could be offensive. But it's only because the actions of the KKK do have a negative impact. If the KKK never acted on their beliefs would it still be offensive?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by "impact something?" Being offended basically always involves something that doesn't affect anything unless you let it. It does not matter what their intentions were, it's not like mst people think that these kids were racist or had evil intentions. It doesn't matter, it's still out of line. And it does affect people around them negatively, I don't buy that it doesn't impact anything. Maybe not to the extent that some other things do, but nonetheless it's not acceptable.

It's also a moot point about what the KKK would be viewed as if they were a mildly racist and harmless group. They are and always will be seen as an extremely violent group that promoted racial segregation. Any attempt to represent this group regardless of your intention will offend the public and piss people off. Any black person will certainly take offense, but so will a lot of white people as well.