View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 07:14 AM

Default Re: huge pot, weird action

With a premium hand like Q,Q sure I agree with capping preflop the large majority of the time.

However in a situation with the BB 3 betting and the field calling his raise, my hand has gone down in isolation value.

I want to think about the future outcome of me disguising my hand now to allow the BB raiser to feel comfortable raising my bet on the flop and thus thinning the field for both our hands. I just call the third bet.

Flop As Qd 2d, my action is to lead out with my set especially being that there is the money card the As, assuming that this card is definitely in the range of the BB hoping he will raise and get some of those gutshots out of the way.

If I do get the raise from the BB and say the CO now calls I can naturally assume that the CO is on the draw and the BB has big ace.

I again just call here instead of reraising, allowing the BB to take control of the betting and allowing me to check raise the next street.

The turn Kd presenting the flush/straight possibility, depending on the momentum of the hand and who is left, if I am getting an overall impression that the BB is looking to bet then I prefer a check raise here.

It also gives me the added knowledge of seeing the actions of the CO or whom else, who might have made their flush at this point without putting additional bets out yet.

If there is a reraise from say the CO then I just call hoping to fill. If there are flat calls behind the BB bet, I definitely check raise here for maximum value.

The river 10s, I make the appropriate check call on the river. Obviously hoping for the check down but also allowing the BB or CO the opportunity to bluff into the one card straight board.