View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 05:28 AM

Default Re: The Ultimate Leverage Investment Thread

i know these are pretty risky but i feel i have stop losses at safe enough amounts (8% currencies, 15-20% commodities, 25-30% india and china indices). the account in theory has £27k, but at the moment only have 12k deposited as i dont bother putting in a full stop loss for something like gold where a drop to 700 in a few days is very unlikely.

forgive my overwhelming lack of knowledge at times, but when you say futures do you mean contracts for say march 08? if so, all but gold and silver (gold becuase it was the first trade i did and didnt know the difference and silver becuase i forgot and just did daily rolling) are on monthly or quarterly futures (if i am using the right term, not sure).

not sure about overnight financing, i know it costs me 7% annually, but for gold for example i know i lose 15 cents overnight i.e. if spot price is $803.50 at closing, it automatically rebuys me at $803.65. i worked this out at about 7% annually so it makes sense i think.

my two final positions im thinking:

long sugar. i was planning to add to my gold position by an extra 20%, but instead ill put this on sugar to diversify a little. this would keep within the 17.5% i have for commodities,; 10% gold, 2.5% silver, 2.5% oil, 2.5% sugar.

also the other currency trade i will add is:
CHF/GBP so long swiss franc vs pound.

these two additions are based on what ive read on kitco and what jim rogers says.

is there anyway to read more about what jim rogers says, i enjoy reading about his opinions (do you agree with him?)

also i really really really need to find a way to invest in the yuan, seems like minimal downside but huge upside.