View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: The state of Notre Dame football.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think people tend to underestimate just how horrible the Willingham recruiting effort was.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who recruited Sharpley, the QB who couldn't beat Navy?
Who recruited Zbikowski, the punt returner who put his team in position to win?
Who recruited Walker, the kicker who Weis didn't have enough faith in to attempt to win the game in regulation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't even bother explaining this one.

I've been vocaal about the harm Ty's done to the program, but trying to blame anyone but the current regime for this loss is insane.

Run, run, run. Be semi-competent on defense. Don't turn the ball over. Win. How hard of a game plan is that to execute?

I think what hurts most for ND fans right now is that Weis is an ND guy. He's a graduate, and he fully understands the importance of the program's tradition and and returning it to championship caliber. His gesture of allowing freshman RB Robert Hughes to score in the 1st quarter (his older brother was shot and killed earlier in the week) was awesome. Because he is so in tune with the Irish community, he's enjoyed support not seen since Lou Holtz roamed the Irish sidelines. Next year will confirm it for sure with his performance working with a large talent influx, but this loss could mean that CW is "willing, but unable" to succeed at ND. I'd argue both Davie and Willingham were unwilling and unable, but unfortunately for CW, my characterization puts him squarely in the company of Gerry Faust.