Thread: Overtimes
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Overtimes

[ QUOTE ]
Dont get me wrong, most of the time when something is obviously correct, it is actually correct. I've already conceded I'm some kind of moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do understand your point, and I think there are certain hypothetical scenarios in which going first would be advantageous.

A semi-applicable analogy might be match-play golf, where most players going into the final hole(s) of a tie match, would prefer to hit their tee shot first. The idea being, i you nut one down the middle (or put it close to the pin on a par 3) you put the pressure on the other guy, which outweighs his advantage of knowing what he needs to do (even being able to switch clubs if you slice OOB or something). Similarly, if both guys have 4-foot putts, assuming different lines, and no significant break to be read, most guys would rather putt first.

So I think if a team had a 95% chance of scoring a TD (instead of 40% or whatever the average % is), it would probably be better for them to go first. I'm not sure where the tipping point is, but I'm pretty sure most CFB teams are nowhere near it, and even at 95%, the advantage is marginal, just as it is in golf. The extra knowledge inherent in going 2nd is much more significant, I'm pretty sure.