View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Did the US Nuke Syria?

[ QUOTE ]
If we were really going to make a secret nuclear strike, it would definately be either a B-2 or a cruise missile, those weapons have a reasonable chance to make it to their target undetected. If it were a B-52, it would be lighting up radars in Kuwait.

However, no one has the market on seismographs and satellites cornered. There are literally dozens of seismographs around the world capable of picking up a blast. However, since there is no obvious crater, a nuclear strike would have been an air burst. I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't have heard reports from either a neutral nation (wild guess, there are maybe a dozen countries flying satellites capable of detecting the blast) or reports from civilians in the area that they saw a mushroom cloud. Also, I think it would be to Syria's advantage to say if they were attacked with nuclear weapons, it would get them a lot of sympathy.

[/ QUOTE ]

All good points. I'm not advocating any particular position, just looking at the evidence to see if there is a possiblity this is correct. I've got conflicting data. Hell, if you look at the first news stories, they say Syria razed the site themselves.

Without details and scale photos, I'm not going to make any air tight comparisons with the photos.

BTW, Edward Teller sat in Livermore National Labs with a seismograph the day that the first hyrdrogen bomb was detonated. Granted, it was half a world away, but it barely deflected. I'm not so sure that a seismograph would even have a noticable deflection for a small scale weapon being much closer. No one may have noticed.

Edit: Know what else, there have been statements that Syria has "cleaned up" the debris.