View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Tanenbaum or Stox?

[ QUOTE ]

stox's book is great too, but it is really a precursor to Mak and Borer's more in-depth material.

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Let me just say that I liked the D&B shorthanded book. It's easy to read and I'd recommend it. But to suggest that WITHG is a "precursor" to the D&B book is just nonsense. Seriously.

They both contain numerous hand examples and offer good advice. However IMO the depth and quality of analysis in the Stox book is WAY better than in the D&B book. Also (and this is my main point) the D&B book only *touch* on blind defence. They offer a VERY tight defending range as their 'default', then add the cautionary advice that you should 'play looser' against very aggressive opponents. That's it. They also give very sketchy advice about SB vs BB hands. This is a huge omission given the nature of online six max games.

Stox, by comparison, has used actual databases from winning players to formulate a coherent blind defence strategy, including SB vs BB, restealing from SB, playing from the BB when SB three bets and so on. His book also includes a seperate quiz containing 448 questions to practice blind defence decisions when adjusting to player ranges.

Now granted, the D&B book contains advice about three handed and heads up play, which the Stox book doesn't. But these short chapters hardly warrant the suggestion that the Stox book is somehow a watered down version of the D&B book. The other additional material is basic stuff that most players who are ready to tackle six max will already know about (player metrics, bankroll considerations, tilt etc.)

I can understand that some people may prefer the style of the D&B book to the Stox book, but that's quite different to saying it's a better book.

IMO it's the other way around. If you are new to six max online then I'd suggest getting the borer book first. It's a good book. I'm sure it will help to turn losers into winning players at the low to mid limits. But when you feel the need to learn the game properly, read Stox.