View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Does the \"answer\" change if....

The discussion here is just beginning to get a little more interesting....

One person said that without a read on villain (in this case, I am the villain), the best course of action might simply be to fold. Personally, I agree with that assessment. However, for those who somehow feel that having a nut-draw makes it worth fighting for the pot, I have this query:

Does your action change if I have $10,000 behind the $1,200 raise? $20,000 behind? $30,000 or more? In other words, what are the conditions that must exist in order for you to begin to believe that:

1. You might already be beaten, and/or;

2. Even if you are not beaten at this point, chasing the nut-draw is not worth it considering you have just $300 invested, and it might cost you a whole lot more to see the next card (or two cards if we don't get it all in before the river)?

How must a hand play itself out, and what types of scenarios need to look likely, for you to say to yourself that it simply may not be worth trying to force a watermelon through a keyhole? Or, is the game of poker in the internet era about nothing more than trying to make YOUR best possible hand at any cost, and then seeing if you actually receive the pot once all the cards are out?

Looking forward to further responses.

TK