View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Re: FTP\'s New \"Knockout Bounty\" MTTs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Either way, this should have a positive effect on a good player's ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you claim this?
Do other people think this is true?
In a sense, this bounty is the overall payout structure of the tourney flatter, which in general would have a negative effect on good players' ROIs, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly haven't thought about it or broken it down mathematically, but my initial thoughts were this:

1. This may or may not be true, as I'm going only on the FTP press release and what their release made it sound like, but it *sounds* like the tournament entry fee is smaller as a percentage of the buy-in, which leads to a higher ROI. It also *sounds* like the knockout bounty money is coming MOSTLY from the additional money that FTP would normally just keep as a tournament entry fee (is this true??). If that is true, then the prize pool is flatter, but not drastically flatter, as FTP is just taking a pay cut form the entry fees to pay for most of this.
2. Bad players will be more likely to actually let these little bounties effect their play, making a few of the bad players worse and making the tables slightly more fishy, on average, in large pots.
3. Bad players stand to knockout other players less often than good players. This is mostly due to the fact that they are often out of the tournament after the first hour, and don't even have the opportunity to knockout other players when they're on the rail. On a *per hand* basis, a bad player *might* take so many ill-concieved risks in big pots that they might knockout as many, or more, opponents as a good player. But on a *per tournament* basis, the good player knocks out far more opponents than a bad player.

Those are just my initial thoughts. Again, I don't know for sure how the entry fee / prize pool structure works, and haven't really broken it down. It just seems to me that it would have a positive impact on ROI for a good player at first glance.