View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 06:47 AM

Default Re: Bryce is \"In the Well\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hmm i'm not sure i get the using game theory to shut a spot down thing.

Maybe you could for example explain how to use game theory to shut down an opponent that is 3 betting a lot preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually if someone is 3-betting more than is optimal preflop, by definition that behavior is exploitable and would not require a GT-optimal counter.

Here is an example of where I think this concept may apply, and Bryce can correct me if this is not what he's referring to. Let's say an opponent puts in a lot of action preflop and flop, and then checks to you on the turn. Now if this opponent were the type to check/fold here too much (i.e., more frequently than is optimal), then you could exploit this by bluffing more frequently. Conversely, if the opponent is the type to trap-c/r with strong hands more frequently than is optimal, then you can exploit this by checking behind more than you otherwise would. On the other hand, if the opponent balances his play perfectly here (i.e., is "tough" in these spots), your only counter is to check or bet here also with game theoretically optimal frequency, aiming for an EV of zero.

[/ QUOTE ]

piggity,
how is it that you make so much sense yet only play live poker?

thebryce,
I play a lot of 10/20ish limits and the following scenario comes up a fair amount:

huhu, say you have j8s in BB and call a pfr from a tight opponent (60-70%). flop comes k62r giving you a bdfd. Your opponent c-bets. Your opponent will keep firing if you call but will tend to be fairly loose passive if you show aggression on any street. How do you proceed as a default? Does it have to be a well-mixed strategy?