View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 05:21 AM

Default Re: .5/1 A8 BB defense

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Flop. As played this is a must c/c. There is no other way you can play it and if someone tells you any differently you should blacklist them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blacklist me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, though...why on Earth would you check/call that flop after flat calling his PFR? We're talking about a Button raise by a player we know to be an aggressive stealer, and in a 4-handed game no less. We have the best hand after that flop very, very often, and our check/raise will be called (or even 3bet) by worse hands almost as often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider yourself blacklisted [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Harv.

You cant c/r this flop.

Consider the action versus various types of hands.

- worse hands. No pair no draw. These will either fold right now or call the c/r and fold turn. Sometimes they will 3-bet but thats a rare occasion. Seems to me that you FR live guys expect this to be 3-bet quite a lot with worse hands. That rarely happens to me when I play SH online.

Anyways. You dont want him to fold these hands. Like Kx no pair. Its huge for you to have him 2 barrel or 3 barrel this hand.

Just quoting "I figure to have the best hand a lot" as a reason to raise is dumb if you dont consider a) which worse hands are calling or b) which better hands are folding and c) how does raising affect the betting on later streets.

- Good draws. He will either call or 3-bet these draws.

Now its no problem that he 3-bets if you know when to see a SD and when not to so that would be a good thing. Given that hero knows when to fold.

But if he just calls and ends up folding the river UI you didnt gain anything whenever he would have 3 barreled river UI had you just c/c the flop . Against people who plays their draws straightforwardly and will 3 barrel them UI you can not quote "he has a draw I raise to charge" as a reason to raise. Thats also dumb. (Harv I am not saying you did this, just talking generally here)

- Pairs or better. Well he is either gonna call these or 3-bet. Whenever he does this and doesnt fold a better hand at some point, c/r'ing is clearly suboptimal. Its my experience that Hero will be looked up loose here so dont expect to fold a better hand.

Seriously. Against players who will not fold easily and who will 3-bet with worse hands it is such a huge mistake to bloat pots with marginal hands. Its bad HU poker and its not up for debate.

Against FR nits there might be some value in a c/r as you can sometimes fold a pair or another/better ace as these guys fold too much. But dont expect it to happen in an online SH game.

tl;dr I know.