View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 11:33 PM

Default Re: The River Bluff-raise

[ QUOTE ]
I try it occasionally when I think it has a chance to work, but haven't actually gotten it to work until tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]
This play works when it does because of the dynamic of your relationship with villain, corroborated by the cards in view. It requires opponents who:

A) Are experienced enough at poker that they make deep reads and occasionally rely on them to make thin laydowns.
B) Have been playing with you enough to have a solid read on you -- solid enough to satisfy the condition above.
C) Have reason to think you are a solid enough player that your value raises are almost always correct.
D) Has no reason to think you are tilting.
E) Has never seen you bluff raise. They remember plays like this like it was their wedding day.

A number of comments:

Fifth street call is real bad. You are beaten in sight and have no re-draw to a pat hand. This is your bus stop, watch your step, don't forget your bag.

Your board and prior street action don't suggest either a monster or a solid draw (that's partly because you had no draw, as mentioned earlier). Before you make a play like this, ask yourself what hand you're representing with the raise (I don't know... Kings up? Some weird fluke trips or little straight?), and is that hand actually strong enough to make the raise against villain's board (in this case, a paired door card, potential straight and flush). Both answers are unconvincing to me.

A river bluff raise is generally more effective if you have played the hand fast enough to give your raise the appearance of value. Here it looks weird and random, and weird plays induce calls. That it worked this time is reason to make a note on that villain making awful river folds, not reason to try the bluff again.

The only benefit to torching your money this way is that you'll get a lot of action from anybody that saw the hand go down for the rest of the night.