View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Ask garcia1000 about Hong Kong

[ QUOTE ]
Most Hongkongers don't play football (soccer) recreationally.

Instead, they GAMBLE on football, particularly the English Premier League (EPL), and the World Cup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Football betting is pretty big here. But there is no idea of sports betting and odds calculations, it's all random gambling.

I believe that Chinese people, whether for cultural, genetic, or selection bias reasons, love gambling.

[ QUOTE ]
NOW Broadband TV, which is owned by phone company PCCW (which is partly-owned by the mainland Chinese government) paid an outrageous amount, US$200 million, for the video rights to EPL for 3 seasons (compared to US$50 million for the same EPL video rights in China and US$57 million for the same EPL video rights in the USA.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me, prices for telecommunications services are really cheap in HK. For example, a basic phone plan with 3G support and 700 minutes of talk time costs around US$7/month. Broadband costs me $8/month. Cable costs me $16/month. Telecommuncations is one of the areas with genuine and fierce domestic competition.

[ QUOTE ]
Two Americans come to Hong Kong for two days and want to see as much as possible in that time frame.
What do you tell them to see/do, and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends, there are a lot of things to do. What do they like? For example, are they shopaholics? Culture vultures? Marines? More information needed to answer the question correctly.

[ QUOTE ]
Garcia, going to AAPT Macau?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! I am looking forward to it. I believe there will be many horribles and fishes there.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm playing in a rugby 10s tournament in hong kong during Feburary, what kind of nightlife should I look forward too? What would be your recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of nightlife? Clubbing, discos, bars, prostitutes, etc.

Basically if you give me a good idea of what you're looking for, I can tell you if 1) Hong Kong has it, 2) whether it's good, and 3) details about it.