View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Our brains (preferences and the such)

[ QUOTE ]
2. Acting contrary to utility maximization: This one is obviously where things become a whole lot trickier, because utility maximization can only be known to an omniscient force to whose mind we are not privy. However, we frequently act opposed to that voice in our head. I think these voices are very real in the sense that different parts of your brain actually prefer different things, and whichever yells louder (pumps out more chemical/electric signal) "wins". It is quite clear to me that even if this is hard to formalize it is a very real effect that should not be ignored.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably should not ignore this for yourself. But why would you care if other people do this or not? Since you acknowlege that you can't know other's preferences (and hence, their relative utility rankings of different alternatives) worrying about utility maximization for other people is stupid. If someone wants to be miserable, that's his perogative. Mind your own [censored] business.

I suspect you're already formulating a "but I didn't say I want to maximize other people's utility" response. You didn't come right out and say it. But many people in this forum DO use this argument, or variations of it, over and over again. And really, let's be honest... if this isn't what you're angling at, what is even the point of mentioning it?