View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Construction Industry more deadly than Iraq war

[ QUOTE ]
At least from a US Soldier's standpoint. Since it's been such a slow day here in the politics forum I figured I'd post something yall might find interesting.

A few days ago a representative from the construction firm Bovis came and spoke to my construction safety class. Amoung other things he said that since the beginning of the Iraq war there have been more fatalities in U.S. in the construction industry than U.S. soldiers had died in combat.

He said about 25 people die every week. That's aroud 1300 a year. I looked online and found some statistics from 2003 and 2004 and his figures seemed a little high. The numbers I looked at showed almost 1200 a year. At any rate that's close to 5000 deaths by the end of 2006. According to this site to date, ther have been about 3800 U.S. casualties.

I'm not trying to make any kind of statement about the war, I just thought you guys might find it interesting.

P.S. I can find the link to where I found the construction statistics if anyone would like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why statistics are so dangerous in the wrong hands.

In the US, more people are killed by pigs each year than sharks.

On the other hand, however, over a lifetime, most people probably have a greater chance of getting killed by a shark than getting killed by a pig.

DUCY?