View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Coffee Addicts Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any love for Peet's? Or is it just the Starbucks of the West Coast?

[/ QUOTE ]

You know Starbucks has gotten big (as if you didn't already) when this type of statement is made. Starbucks is pretty solidly the Starbucks of the West Coast.

For chains I really like, in some vague order of preferences:
Espresso Roma (not sure all are called this, Zeno knows what I'm talking about as there is one in Eugene by the U of O on 13th. The cups say that they have locations along the West Coast mostly in California).
Coffee People

Also here in Pittsburgh, Kiva Han and Crazy Mocha are good. Caribou Coffee is ok. I'm not sure to what extent these exist outside the 'burgh, though I think Crazy Mocha is just a Pittsburgh chain and they said Caribou is based out of Minnesota so maybe it's just a midwest thing.

After all of the above, I do actually like Starbucks just fine. The nice thing about Starbucks is that, at least to me, it seems to be the same everywhere and you don't have a lot of variance. It's a solid bet when you are traveling. I really wish Coffee People had taken off instead of Starbucks though. I was pretty down when they closed the one on 13th during my freshman year of undergrad. It's one thing I like about going home and to the Portland airport in general.

Personally I prefer to use whatever the Italian contraption is that you put on the stove, pictured in an early reply. Obviously when I prefer regular coffee drip is good. At home though I tend to prefer either tea or the stronger stuff, although supposedly a cup of coffee has more caffeine than espresso.

I really like Christmas blends. When I go to the in-laws I buy a few bags of some sort of Kona coffee that is a Xmas blend. I also think the Trader Joes Winter Blend is decent. TJs in general have pretty good stuff for the price.

[/ QUOTE ]

being from eugene i have fond memories of the original coffee people "good coffee, no backtalk". my parents painted the sign.

i generally drink peets in l.a. the restuarant "grace" has great coffee.