View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: What is my line on the turn here?

First question you should always ask yourself is if you should cont. bet the flop here. You really want to take the pot down now, right? Wrong:

1. If a J hits, your opponent is going to get suspicious, so your implied odds suck.

2. Your reverse implied odds are not pleasant either. And, you need a plan for the turn.

3. Your chances of taking this pot down is really small.

Everyone in SSMTT assumes that all cont. bets are good. It's sad and it's just wrong. I would say the #1 problem with SSMTTers is with respect to flop play because they just don't know when to CR as opposed to cont. bet or when to just check/give it up. The OMG, AK, must cont. bet approach doesn't always work.

Small pocket pairs will fold on this board, but there are less combos of small pocket pairs than a myriad of holdings he will call. This Q, J, and 9 combo board sucks. If the board was Q 10 3r, I'd be much more inclined to lead or CR depending on the situation. When a J, K, or A comes up, I'm feeling a lot better about things. I also have more FE.

I would check the flop. Is that "weak?" No.

In certain situations, I may CR the flop, but if you think about it, that's just not such a good idea either.

I would check the flop and let it go.

Barry