View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: hand from stox video

[ QUOTE ]
curious what vid this was from.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember watching this video and even at the time of this "dubious play" I was quizzically agnostic between betting and checking. Based on my own play, I know that I have been betting pretty close to 100% of the time in this spot, but watching Stox check the turn helped raised my consciousness to the reality that this spot is alot closer than my own play would indicate.

I think Geormiet has done an excellent job of illustrating the arguments for checking. I also see many valid arguments for betting. Due to the natural limitations of the human brain, it may be impossible to accurately assess all the pertinent varibles that go into making this check/bet decision in the heat of battle.

However, becuz of this thread, people will now be able to circumvent their inherent processing limitations by constructing ahead of time, a mental model of the variables they think are most important to navigating this specific situation.

I know how I handled this spot in the past. I also know how I approach this spot in the future will no longer be the same becuz I will now be better equipped with an updated mental model to guide my play.