View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 08:15 PM

Default Re: What moral attitude should we take toward Globalism?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Countries that are dirt poor tend not to care about "civilization" or "ideals". They care more about if they're going to eat that day. Protectionist policies perpetuate poverty (say that three times fast lol), so you are in effect promoting these characteristics.

[/ QUOTE ]
Disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]
What are you disagreeing with? Are you disagreeing that-
[ QUOTE ]
Countries that are dirt poor tend not to care about "civilization" or "ideals". They care more about if they're going to eat that day.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because if so you're disagreeing with every sociologist and psychologist ever. If you're disagreeing with
[ QUOTE ]
Protectionist policies perpetuate poverty

[/ QUOTE ]
Then I'd like to hear how restricting competitive advantages doesn't economically hinder a nation. Taken to it's logical consequence it hurts me anytime I do anything with the help of anyone else. I should grow my own food, build my own house, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How? Creating more wealth (which free trade does) is a solution to overpopulation.

[/ QUOTE ] The populations of the second and third world have exploded because Western technology and know how has given them the ability to support many times the population they could otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem of overpopulation comes from not having enough resources to cover the population. If you can now support more people, how can you call it overpopulation?

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the world will breed like rabbits until all of their natural resources are consumed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, there isn't any possible reason not to just constantly have kids, such as you know, having to pay for them.
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Protectionism incentives resource wars. The better the ability to trade with people for resources the less likely you are to go to war for them.

[/ QUOTE ] No

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It’s a logical truth. The easier it is to get something peacefully through trade the less likely you are to kill people for it. If you don’t understand this then this discussion is worthless.

[ QUOTE ]
The industrial development of the second and third world - based almost entirely on Western inventiveness, know how and technology - is going to put a serious strain on world resources.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for the fact that some poor dude that you're keeping in poverty could find a more efficient way to use a resource, helping the rest of us. You're logic leads us to the best case scenario being one with the least amount of people which isn't true. What do you think your standard of living would be like if you were the only one alive?

Or put another way your logic basically says that wealth is bad because more wealth = more people which = less resources.
[ QUOTE ]
I have no trouble with giving money and trade to the advanced and responsible civilizations I mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, and Europe was very responsible right? It’s not like they haven’t you know, been waging war throughout all the world for the last few hundred years or so before hand.