View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: 2/4 B&M - turn play with 99 and 4 card flush draw; counting outs?

This isn't really an answer, but have you considered removing the rake when you count the pot? I do at 6/12 and 8/16 where the rake is less severe. At 2/4, assuming a $4 rake and a $1 tip, there's 2.5 SB less that you're playing for. It may occasionally make the difference between a profitable and an unprofitable call.

I guess I should take a stab at an actual answer.

I'm seriously discounting my outs on the flop, enough that I wouldn't peel -- especially after removing the rake and reducing our odds to 15.5:1.

I'm folding the turn too -- you don't have much in the way of implied odds as you can't really overcall even a single caller if a club hits the river.

Making a fairly safe assumption that our 9's are no good, our possible scenarios are...

1. Drawing dead to a made flush T or better (some of the middle ones will not raise at a passive table).
2. 1 or more higher clubs out, drawing to two outs.
3. your opponents hold no clubs, just aces and jacks, drawing to 11 outs.
4. your opponents hold some number of your club outs but you still hold the highest one, and you're drawing to 5-10 outs.

I'm going to pull some numbers out of thin air and say that 20% of the time you're drawing dead, 50% of the time you're facing a bigger club, 10% of the time you're drawing to 11 outs, and 20% of the time you're drawing to an average of 7 outs.

That's like 3.5 outs, which I guess is enough to continue if you believe the seat of the pants numbers. You can't really make any money on the river, but we might have a sufficiently bloated pot that we don't need to. Maybe this is why I wanted to fold the flop. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]