View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: All-in decisions

[ QUOTE ]
I think I've seen Pokey figure something like this out before in the following way:

3 combos each of 44, 88, and JJ, 6 combos for AA for a total of 15 that beat you. 14 combos (not exactly sure if this is 14 or 16) each of AJ, KJ, and QJ for a total of 42 combos that you beat. You are way ahead of everything else that would call preflop and play this way. So this is a clear call. I don't know if I could do this during the hand, Pokey's a math wiz.

Edit: I think you could even discount a set a little as I'm not sure they would be this aggressive with it even on a 2 flush board. I think you would be more likely to see a c/r all in if they had a set.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you for giving me a reasoned answer!!

Now here's something you mentioned - aggressiveness. And this is part of my problem, I've seen plenty of players go all-in with absolutely nothing to push you out of the pot, and I've seen plenty of players go all-in with a top set trying to suck you in with an over pair. These SnGs are full of bigger fish than I am, and I'm pretty good at playing tight and getting into the money.

A check-raise probably would have sunk me as I never seem to be able to get away from those, something I need to work on, but even if I read such an aggressive bet as a bluff, or semi-bluff, am I risking too much in the early stages of a tournament?