View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: I turn a set and check-call

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't there a good chance he flopped a set and correctly puts you on an overpair? There's no way you can fold the river UI. Although you're behind A5 (and a much less likely 65 since he's tight), on the turn, you're ahead of the small sets as well as a tight passive AA/KK line (maybe not your game, but I see this with some frequency).

The turn card can't scare him that much, so I like a turn c/r followed by calling a 3-bet and c/c'ing the river, or b/c'ing the river if your turn c/r is just called.

[/ QUOTE ]
-----
No offense to you personally.. but this is yet another example of "aggrobot" thinking... ignoring reads and information and forging ahead because "we have a set." This is level one thinking.

If the old villain is passive (and there is no reason to doubt the OP's highly detailed description) there is NO WAY he'd 4-bang a small set on the flop with a straightened board. Passives don't floor it when there's even the slightest chance of being behind. A passive would maybe raise and call a r/r at most.. but more likely a passive would even just call your flop bet and see what the turn brings.

Fear of folding is the number one attribute of, guess what? A fish/donkey. There are better spots to turn a set of tens than this. The most aggressive you can afford to be here, under these circumstances, is to c/c this to the river and lose less than you might have.

In other words, OP played the hand very well. The only slight mistake was arguably 3-banging the flop.. but then he probably wouldn't have gained the info from the 4bet and wouldn't have slowed down on the more expensive streets.