View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Re: How to add larger denominations earlier in a tourney

I would highly suggest starting out by using as few different chips as possilbe. For exapmle don't start out with a 5, 25, 100, 500 stack (actually don't use a $5 chip at all) start out with simple stacks of 25, 100, and 500 chips. this can make the tourney run smooth in MANY ways. If you are giving out say 1500 to eveery player then give one 500 chip, 8 100 chips and 8 25 chips. giving out so many colors is pointless and only serves to confuse palyers and slow the game down.

If you are giving out big stacks like 5k or more add a 1000 chip. try not to make it so complicated and i wouldn't worry about coloring up to "big chips" until the time comes. simply color up the 25 chips when you reach 100/200 (or the first break after you reach this level) and color the 500 chips after you reach 1k/2k blind levels.

As far as how they color up at the WSOP it woudl differ slightly as they use antes so the smaller chips will stay in play longer. I do not recomend using antes in a home tourney, espescially if you do not run a tone of them or have inexpierienced players.

basically don't make it so complicated. the simpler you set up the chip stacks, the simpler the tourney will be to run and the easier it will be for the palyers to play. I have seen tournaments ruined by giving out wierd chip amounts. keep it simple.

that is my advice.