View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Which ways exist to triple your money in one year?

[ QUOTE ]
It is easy to triple a $5000 poker bankroll, variance alone will do it for many players. It is not so easy to triple a $500,000 stock portfolio unless you throw caution to the wind then you might as well put it on a 3 to 1 bet on roulette and triple your money in 45 seconds.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this is exactly right. Its easy to triple small amounts of money, but hard to triple large amounts.

I have a kid that works in my mobile home parks flipping mobile homes. He buys them for cash from motivates sellers, fixes them a bit, then resells them for about 3 times what he paid for them on a note. Then takes that note to a local note buyer and gets 70 cents on the dollar for the note. That kid more than triples his money every year. But he's investing maybe $3000 on a home, selling it for $10,000. Small potatoes.

I've had similar success developing a manufactured home subdivision. I buy and set the homes on a permanent foundation, and the total cost is about $35k or so. Then I sell the home for about $75k. It works out good for everyone. I more than double my money each year on these deals (although a lot of the time I gotta sell them on lease options, and lots of times I carry the paper myself, which doesn't count).

I've also had some success taking old, run down properties and improving them. I bought a mobile home park and doubled its value in one year. Lately I've considered buying a few old roadside hotels to try for a turnaround or to convert them into senior housing.

The point is that I think that tripling your money is each year is possible on maybe a handful of small deals. Doubling your money is possible on one large deal per year. But tripling or doubling your ENTIRE net worth each year is impossible unless your net worth is real small.