View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 03:39 AM

Default Re: October [censored] thread

[ QUOTE ]
My goal is to go from my current 8:55 pace after not running much over the last dozen years,I'm 44 to a 7:30 pace. I been back running about 2 months ..my plan is to run 5K's every other weekend and build up my weekly mileage to 25 miles from 15 miles now. Also doing fartlek, hills and or speedwork at least 2-3 times a week as long as my body isnt overly stressed. Speed work can be very tough on your joints and nervous system...it even messes with my Masters swimming sessions and kills me on days where I do PT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm half your age literally, but i have decided that, overall, running long distances often isn't worth it. I see way more gains in speed and time on long runs from things like HIIT, homemade Crossift (which has running in it also), and weights.

I try and do HIIT (20 sec 10 rest interval sprints) 2 times a week, run 3 miles twice a week, and run a longer 4- 4.5 miles on the weekend.

I have seen my conditioning improve immensely by varying my work like this and have gone from about an 8:30 to a 7:30 in a few weeks. my goal is to run the 10k in a 7:30 pace which I can't do right now. I will be happy with anythin sub 8 min/mile though.

Back when I used to run 20-25 miles a week, both of my knees had tendinitis, my feet felt terrible, I didn't lose any weight (i started running b/c i was fat). So there I was 25 lbs overweight running a 7:45 mile while fighting through terrible knee pain. God it sucked.