View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 01:36 AM

Default Re: ***Official 2007-2008 NHL Season Thread***

alright, since it's late and i'm done homework, i'll give my two cents about the season up to now which is now roughly one month old.

Ottawa is the real deal. Cup favourites by far, with the most volatile top three in Spezza, Alfie and Heatley, and for the moment, they're backed by the hottest backup alive with a very very solid starter. While Carolina looks to be over that one-year slump and back to their winning ways of a few years ago, and while Philly certainly looks new and improved (not to mention Biron is standing on his head), there really isn't any serious competition for Ottawa in my opinion. Unless something crazy happens to disturb that equilibrium, this team still looks like the clear Stanley Cup favourite they were supposed to be at the beginning of the season. For the next month, I figure for Atlanta to continue to rebound after it's poor start (4-2 after starting 0-6) and get back into the swing of things in the SE (Hedberg is fine). Also expect NYR to do the same after their slow start.

For me, the West is a puzzle. I know in the back of my mind that I always think Detroit's bound to slow down with their aging core and netminders, yet they're off to the best start behind Ottawa, no thanks to Osgood being a stud. It doesn't hurt playing in (arguably) the worst division in the league. I like the looks of Colorado and Calgary, though -- I tihnk they will battle for the NW in the end.

side notes: I don't know if there's been a starting goalie who looks as bad as Chris Mason. He's quickly losing his grip on his first year of being a #1. This might be a little premature but he really needs to pick up his play if he doesn't want to become Ellis' backup.