View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Would it be better to invest or pay down mortgage?

[ QUOTE ]

You have a great 6% fixed rate mortgage at this time.Are you thinking of re-locating/moving before your kids settle into a specific area or school district?

[/ QUOTE ]

We love our house and have no plans to move. New house in nice area that we moved into ~2 yrs. ago.

[ QUOTE ]

There are alot of options that are much more appealing/and basically safe than just a 4.5% MM account,with 2 young children that I assume you will be sending to college one day?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, education very important to us. Most likely our state University, which is quite good and relatively inexpensive (currently around 5k/year tuition for resident undergrad). If the talent and desire is there for a private University we will do what we can to facilitate.

[ QUOTE ]

What is your household monthly income/debt ratio?
(mortage,car loans C/C,etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any debt other than my mortgage. Our combined gross income/mortgage payment is around 4.5.

[ QUOTE ]

Unless you just cant take or want the risks/rewards of any type of market that go with the territory?
Stephen [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am very risk tolerant, my wife less so. That is why I was thinking of just putting the majority in a broad index. If I were not married I would most likely invest most of it in individual stocks and derivatives.