View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (10/29 - spoilers possible)

The whole insurance thing is completely ridiculous. If you can't afford the swings at a certain level, you should not be asking for insurance. When you ask for insurance and you have the dominant hand with one card to go, it is impossible to come off as anything but scared money and a complete nit. I could see it perhaps every once in awhile (ok, no I couldn't), but asking for insurance on relatively small pots like the last one and not saving it for the $300k pots just looks so tacky and cheap.
What *really* pisses me off more than anything however is the complete lack of dignity you show the losing player, in this case Eli. It sucks hardcore enough that you're all in with your last dime, you're behind BADLY, and some guy is prolonging the agony by asking for insurance around the table and then prolonging the agony even FURTHER by then discussing odds and blah blah blah. Eli is a class act, but he let this go on way too long. If the hand was a race ok, but when you have somebody bent out of shape so badly like that, get the damned hand over with and have some compassion. I could see it if Eli was a jerk, but he's showing nothing but class on this show year in and year out and he deserves better.
I love watching Phil on TV, but this really pissed me off last night. There was so much confusion however, that I don't think he intentionally ripped anyone off. There is too much at stake here considering this show is televised nationally, that Phil would sell his soul for $12k. At least, I hope he wouldn't.