View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Don\'t raise AK preflop, ever acceptable?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
By raising a greater amount with AK - one also tell the other players one has AK. They can thus play against one perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. There are plenty of times when I don't raise w/ AK. If I'm on the button and 3-6 have limped in, there's nothing wrong w/ seeing the flop cheaply. In limit though, I raise 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about cranking it up big time and making the limpers fold or pay waaay too much to see the flop? Taking a flop 4-7 way with AK is just about the worst way to play the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying never raise. But you have to mix it up. If you always raise w/ it, good players will know you DON'T have it if you don't raise. I mean c'mon. How many times do you see nits only raise p/f with pocket aces and you stack them because they overplay the hand? If you are playing $1/2 NL and 5 limp in and you make it $15-20 or whatever, a good player will see the raise for what it is. He'll call knowing whether or not the flop hit you. If you are in a passive game, you can limp in w/ position and bet if it's checked to you because you will have the best hand. And if someone has top pair on a K 9 5 board, they will chase to the river anyway because they won't put you on AK. Again, I'm not saying never raise w/ it. Occasionally. As in like 5% of the time.