View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Grandpa on a half shell

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...8/nclam128.xml

Eh, "Oldest animal ever"--well discovered anyway, until they killed it that is.

Question for believers: if Superdude so values existance, why do we grubby primates only get a few creaky decades when stuff like turtles and clams and trees get plenty more in many cases? Why is a multi-billion year-old being so selfish with such a cheap resource? Or is this just more evidence that the whole business is the result of random processes? Be honest, now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other animals that show no sign of aging are: female flounders, lobsters, sturgeons, sharks, and alligators.

Anti oxidants have been shown to increase the lifespan of mice by 30%. By selective breeding, we can increase the life span of fruit flys by 70%. Severe Caloric restrictions of mice have increased their lifespans from 50% to 100% and the interesting thing about this, is we've isolated the gene that turns off and on with coloric restriction. The compound resveratrol, found in the skins of grapes has been shown in some experiments, in large doses, to turn off the same gene that caloric restriction turns off ( in mice ). In humans things might be a bit different. See the actual study. I'll find it myself and reference it, if anyone actually reads my post and is interested.