View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Re: FTS - Some suggested improvements/additions

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Nano,

I'm not sure you are understanding the concept properly, because it is an improvement on your current rebuy implementation.

The way you have it now rebuys the user to max every time they are all in - win or lose. My suggestion would give your users the choice to rebuy for an amount of their choosing if they were all in and lost. When they win, both ways get them to max (although with my suggestion, sometimes not even to max if the pot they won was not large).

My suggested addition does not get them to max any sooner than the way you have it now. If fact, in some cases, it doesn't even get them to max if they win, whereas your current implementation gets them to max every time they go all in - win or lose.

Just to be clear, what I am suggesting is that you add a field for an auto rebuy amount, as opposed to always defaulting to max rebuy. That way, when the player is all in, the auto-rebuy occurs for the desired amount. If the player loses, the rebuy ends up being for the desired amount. If the player wins, the rebuy ends up being for the desired amount + the size of the pot. I'm not suggesting that you remove the choice to auto-rebuy for the max. Just add a choice to specify an amount other than max if the player so desires.

Also, this feature wouldn't have to affect anyone who didn't wish to use it because they wouldn't have to enter a value or use the feature if they didn't want to.

If you think it over carefully, I think you will see that it offers your users more control and less risk (and it shouldn't be be very difficult to implement).

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Nano,

1. Couldn't you have a field for a rebuy amount less than max and if you won, you would end up at [won pot + entered rebuy figure] or [max rebuy] (whichever is the smaller figure), but if you lost you would end up at your entered rebuy figure?

2. A fixed bet would be handy for some situations that arise very frequently if the player wants to remain unwavering in his bet size in those situations. For example after the flop with 2 players following a called blind steal. There are a number of other situations that would apply as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey BB,
1. Yes, it could be made to work that way, but I'm not sure that most short stack players would want it that way, as their stack would keep increasing doubly fast if they win some. It would operate in a non-intuitive way, as the software would rebuy when they win. I'll see if others chime in on this.
2. I'll add this to the wish list, and see if others ask for it too.
nano

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi BB,
Well, let's run through an example...

Say a short stack player is playing 200 NL, and buys in for $50. Ideally, he would like the software to rebuy back to $50 when his stack gets below $50 and he loses the hand.

One (somewhat reasonable) case might be: Let's say he starts with $50. Preflop he raises to $6. The software would then pop up the get chips dialog box to rebuy $6 in chips. On the flop he bets $15. Again the software pops up the get chips dialog box and buys $15 more in chips. If he goes AI on the turn for $29, the get chips dialog would pop up again and buy $29 more chips. If he loses the hand, he gets what he wants (a $50 stack again). If he wins, his stack is now $150 (and normally he would expect to have just $100).

I'm concerned that the extra pop ups would be annoying and the extra chip growth would defeat the purpose of his short stack strategy (besides being non-intuitive for how they might expect the software to work). I'm also concerned that I'll get LOTS of questions/complaints about why it works that way.

If I understand you correctly, you don't mind buying extra chips if you win a hand... and you want less than a full stack buyin if you lose a hand. And the extra "get chip" pop ups in the middle of a hand don't annoy you.

It's not trivial to implement, as the code is now written to only allow one rebuy in any given hand (so you don't get more than one pop up), but it's not too hard to implement either.

If there are others that would like it work this way, I will seriously consider it.

Are we in the same zipcode? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

nano