View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Pro-choicers must be anti-tax, no?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pro choice because I believe people should have very strong rights over their own body.

I'm pro tax because I don't believe people have very strong rights over every cent of the income they earn, since

- that money is gained in large part from interacting with society, and
- society itself has costs (current, future and historical) which go into providing this person with income.

Besides, taxation has a legitimate basis. If you don't think laws make it legitimate, then consider that the government could easily charge a road/water/electricity levy for land it legitimately owns (since most land under AC definitions of ownership was legitimately acquired by the private corporation that is the government). Such a levy could be made equivalent to taxation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure they could do that and then we could refuse to pay it for about 15 seconds until the government went bankrupt and had to sell us their land. Except they've already sold us their land. So no worries. They may have acquired it and owned it once but they do not any longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vhawk01,

When did you become an ACer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure exactly. 6 months ago maybe? There wasnt exactly a lightbulb moment or anything. I resisted it for a while because it seemed like such a pejorative term and I didnt want to call myself that, but then I got over that.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's next - you going to start believing in God?