View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
Here is what the Yankees need to do:

1. Sign Andruw Jones. Just do it. Give him his money. Failing that, for whatever reason, get Hunter or Rowand, in that order of priority.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh god, no. nononono.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Trade for Santana and sign him to a 6-7 year contract extension at 22ish/yr.

[/ QUOTE ]

no

[ QUOTE ]
3. Trade either Damon, Matsui, or Abreu... in that order of priority. Then start Melky/Jones in center or left, with Matsui or Abreu in right, and the other DHing. Expect to eat salary in any trade except with Abreu.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one wants Matsui or Damon. The Yankees will have to eat too much salary to make that worthwhile, plus Melky isn't barely a positive VORP corner outfielder.

[ QUOTE ]
4. Make Giambi decent enough at first that you can start him there. If you can't start Giambi at first, then he should be your priority DH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Giambi had a terrible season and he'd be my first player to trade. He is an injury prone DH - how worthless. His days of playing first base are over.

[ QUOTE ]
5. Start Betemit at 3B. Please don't get Crede, he sucks. Same with Beltre. Lowell will demand way too much money and is going to go downhill real fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, but this sucks. Betemit is not very good.

[ QUOTE ]
6. Resign Rivera and Posada. This is an absolute must on both accounts. There is no better catcher available and Mo is... well, Mo.

[/ QUOTE ]

ldo

[ QUOTE ]
This gives you a lineup of:

(DISCLAIMER: This is not how I would order the lineup, but this is how I anticipate they will roughly order the lineup- - obv i expect adjustments to be made to have a L/R/L/R order).

1. Melky CF/LF
2. Jeter SS
3. Abreu RF
4. Jones LF/CF
5. Giambi 1B
6. Posada C
7. Matsui DH
8. Cano 2B (if Cano really starts to improve, obv he needs to jump Matsui in the lineup)
9. Betemit 3B

[/ QUOTE ]

Cano is probably going to be a better hitter than everyone you've listed above him. Giambi is finished, Posada will come back to earth - if Cano can hit .300/.350/.500 or thereabouts, he'll sadly be better than the rest of the lineup.

[ QUOTE ]
Keep Doug Malphabet around to be a defensive replacement late game for Giambi. Shelley Duncan remains a solid bench option.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yankees need a real 1B - it is not going to be Jason Giambi. Sadly I think it will be Mzyzycyz.

As for your last stuff on pitchers - if Joba is 4th in the rotation, they may as well keep him in the bullpen another year. I don't know what they'd have to offer to get Santana, but my guess is that it includes either Hughes or Chamberlain - CMW is a terrible fit for Minnesota. Oh, and Igawa for Meredith was pure sportstalk drivel.