View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: TT first hand at table!

Two comments:

<font color="blue">1. Smooth-call preflop.</font>

Yeah, it's a small bet. Yeah, you've probably got the best hand. Yeah, you're probably ahead at the moment. But -- so what? The flop is going to 100% transform this hand. With $4 in the pot, getting all-in when you hit your set will become quite easy if anybody has an even remotely-decent hand postflop. If you raise you take a big chance to win a small amount of money: you're going to be OOP in a possibly multiway pot where there's a roughly 70% chance that an overcard will hit on the flop. Which overcards kill your hand? You won't know until showdown. Are you really going to be comfortable getting all-in with an unimproved TT if there's a J, Q, K, or A on the board? Do you really think that if a scare card hits you're going to be able to check it down for a cheap showdown? On the flop your hand will either go W*A*Y up in value (if you hit a T), W*A*Y down in value (if an overcard hits), or go up in value slightly (if all undercards hit). Why build a huge pot while there's this much uncertainty? Postflop you'll either be comfortable getting it ALL in or comfortable folding; pay your fifty cents and see if you've got a winner. If you do, you'll be winning TONS of money for your monster. At this point, you literally have POT odds to call for set value -- take those odds. Otherwise, you'll be OOP in a HUGE pot with what is likely to be a below-average hand, and three looooong streets away from a showdown.

<font color="blue">2. Push.</font>

As played, I think you have to plug your nose and put it all in; the reason is Button. He's smooth-called twice, which indicates a mediocre hand. Ideally, you'd like to take some more dead money from him, but if you've got money behind you're setitng yourself up to make some serious postflop mistakes. Smooth-calling leaves you pot-committed and hating it on about 2/3rds of all flops. Better is a push which puts the money in while you have the likely best hand. SB is coming along for the ride, because he's only got $7 behind and the pot will have over $50 after you push and button folds. You trap an extra $6.25 in dead money from button. You also isolate for 55 BBs instead of risking all 100 BBs.

SB scares me, here -- that reraise could be aces if he's a trappy player. Without reads, I really can't say for sure what he's got, and it scares the bejeezus out of me. However, I'm getting almost 2-to-1 odds if Button folds, and it's hard to put SB on a range narrow enough to make those bad odds with TT.

I'm still pissed at myself for turning a speculative hand into an all-in preflop commitment, but against SB I think I'm pot-committed. I push to isolate and get Button out of the hand, or at least to charge him the maximium to try to draw out on me. I also give him the biggest possible chance to make a FTOP mistake right now.

And to think that you could have closed the action for only fifty cents.... *sigh*