View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Need help finding a post

Alright, after a day of going through the past 10 pages and searching each thread specifically, I guess it was the one bdk posted, written by John, as well as one written by Alex M that caught my attention.

"James Madison, in explaining the Constitution in Federalist Paper No. 45, said, "The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce."

Thomas Jefferson said, "Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."

Madison said, "If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the general welfare, the government is no longer a limited one possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one subject to particular exceptions."

"With respect to the words general welfare, I have always regarded them as qualified by the detail of powers connected with them. To take them in a literal and unlimited sense would be a metamorphosis of the Constitution into a character which there is a host of proofs was not contemplated by its creators."

Anywho, thanks for posting those fellas, great qoutes when discussing the general welfare clause.

Mods can delete this thread if they see fit :P

Taso