View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Do you think dogs get lonely?

[ QUOTE ]
Katy,

We crate ours while we are at work. Ours is almost 8 months now. The main thing is to spend time with them when you are home. My kids run her ragged in the evening(sometimes it is the other way around) and I walk her almost every night after dinner.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

If you are planning on getting a dog, like it has been said throughout the thread, definitely do some research on breeds before buying a dog. There is a ton of info. in books and online. You definitely want a dog with the right temperment and needs to fit your situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the excellent advice Sharkbitten and Mondo (edited to add Sharkbitten!). I will definitely keep everything you said in mind. Good to hear that you can leave a dog alone all day and it is still well balanced and normal when you get home.

My problem is that I'm tempted to ignore everyone's sound advice about researching breed temperament and go buy a dog based on looks. I know this sounds stupid but I just really want a cool looking dog. When I found out the German Wirehaired Pointer has a lot of energy and is not a good candidate to leave alone all day I felt like this [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

I suppose in the end I will go to a shelter and get a calm older dog. I really don't think I can handle a puppy but we'll see. If someone were to give me a wirehaired pointer puppy right now as a gift I would not turn it down. I would love it so much [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].