View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Re: EDF Cooking Contest--Pumpkin Challenge

Pumpkin - Goat Cheese Croquettes with Maple Marscapone over Micro Greens and a Pumpkin Vinaigrette

I loved everything about this dish. All the individual pieces were really tasty, but eating them together turns this into one of my favorite dishes in the last couple of months. The greens and the vinaigrette added a nice textural and tangy component to complement the creaminess of the croquettes. (The use of greens here was inspired by ron b's dish above) Anyways, here is the recipe:

Croquettes
1 lb goat cheese
1 lb pumpkin puree (I'm not sure how much I put in, seemed like the same amount as the goat cheese)
2 eggs
1 bunch thyme
2 cups panko bread crumbs
salt to taste
1 bunch sage (not pictured)
maple syrup (to adjust sweetness)

Mascarpone Maple Drizzle
1 cup mascarpone
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tbsp maple syrup

Pumpkin Vinaigrette
Pumpkin Puree
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Sherry Vinegar

Mix thyme, goat cheese and pumpkin puree in a small bowl. Add maple syrup as necessary. Refrigerate. Make small 1 ounce "balls'" of the mixture.

Dredge in beaten eggs, then coat with coarse bread crumbs (panko works best). Refrigerate again.

For the mascarpone - mix 1 cup mascarpone, 1/2 cup heavy cream and 3 tbsp maple syrup.

Pan fry the croquettes until golden. as they are frying toss in leaves of sage. Remove from oil, drain well.

For the dressing, combine the balsamic and sherry vinegar. Whisk in olive oil slowly. Add pumpkin puree to achieve desired consistency and taste. Add salt and pepper.

To plate, coat the greens with the dressing and place on the plate. Top with the croquettes and top with the Marscapone Maple sauce. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds (I used the ones I made last week)