View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Re: lol bet/foldaments

[ QUOTE ]

I feel that I should have more control over my emotions than this. Getting up and leaving after taking 5 or 6 [censored] beats just should not affect me that much. What I have been in search of is a way to control my emotions, not a new way to fundamentally view the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

im not sure if this answers your question or not. sorry if it doesnt.

how often are you going to showdown? serious question. if you're constantly seeing that your outdrawn, there is a high probability that you are paying off too much.

common wisdom says that folding the winner can put you on tilt. maybe so, but constantly paying off when its clear you're beaten isnt going to contribute to your emotional state, either. frankly, when you pay off the passives over and over again, the doubts and frustrations may start piling up. you start questioning your skill, your luck, everything, and blam, tilt.

dont pay off the passives. make the right play every time and know you're making the right play (this often implies folding), and make it wrong for the fish to even bother to chase you down when you give them no implied odds. dont take too much time with your folding decisions, either, otherwise people might start to take shots at you and leave you in a tough spot.

heres a hand from yesterday.

5 limpers to me, I raise black kings in the BB. all call.

flop is 844 two spades. SB checks, I bet, everyone calls, SB CR's, I tank for a moment and 3 bet. as soon as I 3 bet I have a plan for the turn. a few folds but most call, like 4 to the turn. I already know that a 4 might be out there, as well as a flush draw. at this point my plan is to bet/fold all non K, non-4 turn cards.

Turn red ace. SB checks, I bet, 1 caller, a passive limper now raises, SB folds, and I fold in a nanosecond.

is this advice dangerous? sure. if you bet/fold too much you're gonna be folding winners. you cant do this vs everyone. sometimes even though you're behind you have to see the river. sometimes against a tricky player you gotta ust buckle up and showdown your hand. just know your making the right play vs your opponents hand range.