View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: University Reading List (politcal books). Any recommended addition

You're studying political science, right? I majored in political science in college, but in the United States.

All the Hagel can come off. I would take off all the anarchist stuff too; it's just irrelevant and silly. Vorlander, Friedman, Hitchens and the whole religion section can all go.

Before you go hog wild buying classical theory like Locke, Hobbes, Rousseau or Machiavelli there is a reader that has all the most relevant stuff in it, Classics of Modern Political Theory, Steven M. Cahn, ed. Buy that before you spend way more money on all that stuff individually.

Freakonomics is a great book, but I'm skeptical about how useful it would be academically. Of course, read it anyway! The Ackerman book is very good, and very relevant. I think you should also read The Racial Contract by Charles Mills.

I don't see anything about comparative politics on the list. Unless your education is going to be heavily tilted towards theory you should probably read at least one comparative book. Huntington's Clash of Civilizations is probably a good place to start, imperfect as it is.