View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Fact/Theory or Factheory?

[ QUOTE ]
I may be using the word wrong so jump in and define fact or theory if that will help...

I think facts exist quite independently of us or our theories (most of which dont contain facts imo). I think there was an answer to "How fast is the earth moving relative to the sun?" before anyone was around to ask it - I think that is one example of a fact.

If there are no facts until theories - do you have an explanation for why we end up agreeing with each other so much? We dont seem able to just make up anything - or at least usually agree on what is a "poor" theory. What is it that constrains the theories we come up with if it isnt facts about the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the earth moving around the sun just model we created? The doesn't seem to be any need for it to be 'actually' moving around the sun any more than the sun was moving around the earth in the older model.

Agree with each other? hahahaha, don't you read SMP?
ok, we agree with each other because we're an evolved species with a general base model. We wouldn't agree that much with each other if I was a rattlesnake ( even being from 3000 BC may leave us with a lot of discrepancy with what we take as obvious now.)

luckyme